As we head towards the coldest months of the year, winter provides the perfect opportunity to review and improve security at home. Afterall, the chance of being burgled vastly increases when the clocks go back in October. Modern composite doors are often chosen for their outstanding security features, as well as an exquisite range of composite door colours – with specialist designs like composite stable doors becoming a fashionable upgrade in classic and contemporary styled homes alike.
Supplying and installing quality composite door products from industry-leaders Endurance composite doors, DOORCO, Apeer, and Benchmark, if you’re wondering which composite front door is best, let’s investigate each composite door brand together to help you make your final decision.
GRP vs timber composite doors – what’s the difference?
First things first, it’s important to understand the difference between the two main types of composite door out there. GRP composite doors are made from compression moulded Glass Reinforced Polymer (GPR) and typically use a 44mm door slab that’s filled with polyurethane foam insulation. Whereas timber composite doors use a 48mm door slab that’s encased in a thermo-plastic Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS) skin that has an additional ‘through colour’ feature to minimise unsightly scratches.
GRP composite doors are usually chosen for the best energy efficiency and timber composite doors stand out for their authentic timber appearance, exceptional durability, and easy recycling features.
Which composite door is best?
• Endurance composite doors
– 48mm thick solid timber core
– Up to 10% thicker than other doors on the market
– 85 stylish door designs
– Integrated Moisture Barrier Strip to protect from water ingress and removing the risk of swelling or delaminating
– High security, Sold Secure Diamond Grade ABS Ultimate locking cylinder as standard
– Locking systems tested to Secured By Design specified PAS 24 Security Standards
– Patented CoolkSkin® technology delivers a realistic woodgrain texture whilst protecting against fading, cracking, bowing, or warping
– Strong and efficient PVCU door frame
– Thermally toughened decorative glazing
– Manufactured in the UK
– Wolverhampton Glass is part of the Endurance Installer Partner Network, so you can be sure of the best advice and the highest quality installation.
• DOORCO composite doors
– 44mm foam filled GRP composite door
– 16 stylish door styles
– Woodgrain or smooth finish
– Exceptional thermal efficiency, able to achieve a minimum B energy rating
– Helps to reduce outdoor noise by 31 decibels
– Meets PAS 24 regulations
– Additional security features available, including Kubu Smart Lock integration
– Anti-fade and anti-scratch GRP skin
– Extensive hardware collection
– Illuminating glazed sidelight and toplight options (side or top positioned windows)
– Etched, frosted or decorative glazed patterns designed to maintain privacy
– Designed and fabricated in the UK
• Apeer composite doors
– Super-strong 70mm foam filled GRP composite door
– 9 versatile door style collections
– Lifelike woodgrain effects
– Gorgeous rose gold door furniture and glass design accents
– 44mm thick single rebate seal / 70mm double rebate draft seal with GRP inner frame
– Double glazed Q seal warm edge super spacer system* (44mm option)
*Spacer bars separate the panes of glass inside a sealed unit to form a thermally insulated cavity to reduce heat loss.
– Triple glazing as standard (70mm option)
– Expanded steel and metal reinforcing (70mm option)
– Double steel hinge bolts (70mm option)
– Manufactured in Northern Ireland, UK
• Benchmark composite doors
– 40mm foam filled GRP composite door
– 32 stylish door designs
– Impressive A++ ratings without glazing panels or A+ ratings with glazing
– Innovative triple sealed three gasket system designed to reduce heat loss and improve weather-tightness
– Strong and efficient PVC door frame
– Secured by Design security upgrades available
– Range of decorative glazing options
– Low aluminium and PVC threshold options
– Low maintenance woodgrain GRP skin
– Environmentally friendly lead-free profiles
– Manufactured in the UK
Composite door showroom
Are all composite doors the same quality?
To assist you in making your final choice, we’ve created this convenient comparison table that covers the most important features of each composite door brand we install.
||Endurance composite doors
||DOORCO composite doors
||Apeer composite doors
||Benchmark composite doors
||48mm timber core
||27 standard finishes + any RAL or BS colour
||Double or triple glazing
||48mm triple glazing / 44mm double glazing
|| Double glazing
||A-rated; 10% thicker than most
||Minimum B energy rating
||Diamond Grade locking cylinder
||Meets PAS 24 regulations
||Exceeds Police-approved security standards
||Multi-point locking as standard
|Stable door option
Have a peek at this impressive replacement composite door we installed for Mr & Mrs Hooper.
Refreshing composite doors tailored to homes in Wolverhampton & the Midlands
Now you have a clear idea of the best composite door for you and your family, why not experience the quality for yourself with a visit to our double glazing showroom in Kingswinford? Alternatively, you can design your dream composite door with our innovative design software. Or give our team of experts a call on 01902 773831 or get in touch online to discuss your next home improvement options in greater depth.